There is something absolutely crazy happening — for the last seven years, a small group of people have been playing City of Heroes as the server were before they shut down. Actually better than that – it included the unreleased Issue 24 content as well as a brand new zone, new archetype, and new powersets!One intrepid hero refused to keep the secret – and now we can all come back back up (with some big caveats)!Chooch and Viv discuss what’s happened in the last week, and give their impressions after playing on the new server.
Information on the Tributes:
Wednesday, 10/8 at 9pm – Online Vid Tribute from The Beyond the Wall crew:
On Wednesday, October 8th, 2014 at 9pm Eastern, the Beyond the Wall crew will be recording a live podcast show in which we will bid farewell to our good friend, P.G. Holyfield.
If you would like to attend one or both of those events, please check the links on this post at SpecFicMedia.com.
Of course, we understand that not everyone will be able to attend in person.
For so many, these podcasts are how they knew him.
So, the show on Wednesday the 8th will be a way for us, and for you, to express your feelings about this man, who brought so many people together.
We on the crew will be sharing our feelings and memories, but, we would also like to hear from you. If you have words, audio or video that you would like to share, please email it to us at BTW@SpecFicMedia.com.
Even if you have already sent something, please re-send it if you would like it to appear on this show. If you would like to send something that is just for family or any other private audience, please indicate this in your email.
And of course, if you are reading this too late or are just unable to put your feelings together before we record, please send anyways.
Also, please help us boost the signal, both for this announcement and the show event links that will follow, so that everyone that would like to can participate.
P.G. Holyfield founded a great community at SpecFicMedia, but now his watch has ended.
Our watch continues and so we will carry on our sacred duty, which is to talk about things we love – and people that we love – with all of you.
Thank you, from your friends at SpecFicMedia.com.
Saturday: A Casual Gathering and A Celebration of Life in Honor of Patrick G. Holyfield
October 11th from 6 pm – 10 pm – Come and go as you are available
Flying Saucer in Charlotte, NC
9605 N Tryon St Suite A, Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
Chooch and I will be hosting an informal gathering in Charlotte on Saturday, October 11th, at The Flying Saucer. It’s a craft brew honoring restaurant, that we’ve enjoyed with P.G. in the past.
The official time is from 6 – 8 pm, when we are guaranteed use of the private room. If our numbers dwindle, we may move to a large table or we may be allowed to stay in the private room. They have been wonderfully accommodating and will do their best for us.
There will be self-pay dining and libation offerings in mid-price range
A brief video of memories from Chooch and I including some favorite Con(vention) Family will be available for viewing at any time. Otherwise, come as you are able as you arrive from other destinations or to spend the time together. We hope to highlight P.G., our friendship, and shared world with him in the podcasting and convention realms.
This will be a celebration of life, his life, and our con family experiences with him, but also a place for those that wish for grieving and remembrance, as well.
If you have ideas for this celebration of his life, please make pledges of time or assistance, please send to BTW@SpecFicMedia.com.
If you have pix or vid clips you love of PG, please send to BTW@SpecFicMedia.com, for possible inclusion in the video we are hoping to complete. (Time constraints.)
Also, if you are local and available to assist, please let me know at the above email to coordinate with needs for this unexpected gathering/weekend.
Sunday: The Memorial Service in honor of Patrick G. Holyfield
Sunday, at 12pm – Embassy Suites Banquet Room located at 4800 S. Tryon St (near Charlotte Douglas Airport–they will have shuttle service).
Please forward any written sentiments, photos, audio or video you would like to make a part of my tribute to me (Kim AKA The Trustee) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you so much for your thoughts and contributions. I truly look forward to seeing or hearing from all of you, either next week or in the future.
We were lucky enough to make it out to the first PAX East and while we missed the City of Heroes Panel, we were able to go to the meet & greet and get the highlights from Matt “Positron” Miller.
There isn’t a lot of detail, but here is an overview of what was presented at the CoH Panel:
- The panel was centered around how to keep an MMO fresh and new
- History of Paragon Studios
- List of many things that went into the game since launch
- Issue 17 release in April- open beta “very soon”
- Ultra mode graphics
- New story arcs
- Revamp of Positron task force
- split into two TFs (as was always intended)
- fight at the dam
- spruced up missions to give them a new feel
- Going Rogue
- New level 1-20 experience
- The GR system itself
- 4 Zones, showed some concept art
- New power sets
- Dual pistols
- if you pre-purchase Going Rogue now, then you immediately get dual pistols
- Demon summoning will be launched with i17
- again if you pre-purchase you get it as soon as it hits servers
- Demons are elemental based
- Each Fire, Ice, and ?? will be launched in sequence, kind of like the medic coming out for mercenaries.
- All new graphic models – they’re not just rehashed CoT stuff
- Dual pistols
- Powersets debuted at PAX East 2010:
- Electric Control (controllers and dominators)
- Kinetic Melee (scrappers, tankers, brutes, stalkers)
- The future
- Issue 19 tentatively called “Incarnates”
- End-game system that Matt has been working on for several months.
- 10 Incarnate levels past 50 – first level will be in Going Rogue
- Hopefully all will be released with i19 (perhaps not all at the same time, but as close as possible)
- Issue 19 tentatively called “Incarnates”
- Matt was glad to finally make it to the east coast (woot!)
This charity drive is a live, online auction to raise money for the trust fund of Tee Morris’ daughter who lost her mother on January 5, 2010. There will be at least 5 hours of entertainment hosted by Podcasting’s Rich Sigfrit. We’ll be in the live audience cheering everybody on, and likely on camera on the main feed as well. It’s shaping up to be a really fun time. You’ll be able to bid from the chat room, through e-mail, proxy-bid on the website, and I think via video or audio on Skype or UStream.
And with over 70 items up for auction (so far!!) there is something for everyone to get excited about and bid for! Everything from jewelry, to pictures, paintings by celebrities, custom music, book dedications, food, clothes, signed DVDs and books, knitwear, and even Mozart’s Balls!! Seriously, go check out everything up for auction!
Hope to see you there!
It’s been a long road, but we’ve finally dinged 50! Episode 50, that is.
In this episode we discuss:
- Winner of Knives of Artemis costume code: Flick Guy
- Free character transfers until the end of January:
- Starts:Tuesday, December 15, 2009 at 8:59 a.m. PST (11:59 a.m. EST)
- Ends: Sunday, January 31, 2010 at 11:59 p.m. PST (2:59 a.m. EST)
- These are moves, not copies. You can move a character back with the same restrictions and caveats
- You cannot transfer characters between different accounts — same account only
- You can do up to 6 transfers a week. This could be anything from 1 character transferred 6 times back and forth between 2 servers, or could be 6 characters to different servers in any combination
- Cannot swap between US & European servers
- Lose Supergroup affiliation, prestige, and items
- Lose server friends list, but keep global list
- Leveling pacts will be broken
- Keep auction house items
- You may lose your character name if it is already taken on the new server. No warning is given, but you are given a free rename token. If you already have one character on the destination server you can do a name lookup check at the login screen.
- If you have a one or two letter/number name, you will loose it forever. The servers currently only allow three letter/number names.
- Character transfer tutorial
- City of Heroes® Super Booster IV: Martial Arts
- This Super Booster channels your chi while combining the perfect balance of style and power.
- Martial Arts themed costume set:
- The Martial Arts themed male, female and huge costume parts include robes, shoulders, legs, gloves, footwear, mask, belt and head pieces, as well as new hair styles, chest emblems, and weapons. Male and huge characters also have the option to select the top knot hairstyle, while females will have the option for crazy braided buns!
- Character Emotes:
- /em bringit
- /em pushup
- Costume Change Emotes:
- Smoke Bomb
- Ninja Leap
- Ninja Run power:
- Dash through the city with the agility of a ninja! Use Ninja Run to strike fear in the hearts of your enemies as you increase your run speed and leaping abilities, and the best part? It doesn’t use one of your power selections!
- This purchase enables these features for all characters on your game account from level 1. Ninja Run power is available at level 4. Costume change emotes* do require that you unlock at least one additional costume slot.
Promo: The Empress Sword by Paulette Jaxton
There will be two posts for this one. The first we bring here is our traditional podcastiness in audio form. As you will hear at the beginning of the episode, there is also a video version of this episode.
Since video files are so big we didn’t want to clog up your podcast feed with one. Head over to the video post and you can download it in a range of formats or stream it straight from the post!
Too long in the making, we are proud to bring you our Transcendence Trial tutorial. At the start of the episode Viv breaks down the basics of the Trans Trial and how we go about running it. Then we actually run through it “live” with a full team.
Sorry, no news or fluff. Contest winner will be announced in a special audio drop this week.
We’d like to thank the team members who helped us run the trial:
- Will Hudson and Tai Kitty, Heroes of the first order
- Biscuit the Mighty of the Kulture Kast
- Heather Welliver and Marc Bailey of Grailwolf’s Geek Life
- our son, M.
Items mentioned in the episode:
Here is our second to last piece of audio from Dragon*Con. This is the City of Heroes panel which proved to be a very lively discussion about the game, Paragon Studios, and various other topics.
This episode includes:
- The winner of the impromptu contest we created at the panel
- Information to enter a drawing for a Knives of Artemis costume code
- The City of Heroes Panel at Dragon*Con
Special thanks to:
We grabbed a decent amount of audio from our time at DragonCon. Today’s special episode consists of some player interviews we did after the CoH Panel.
We’ll be releasing the full panel audio soon, as well as a regular episode with news and patch note highlights from the launch of i16.
No promos or news in this one, but that’s coming soon. Promise 🙂
We had an opportunity to sit down with Tee Morris the other night and talk about super hero movies, gaming, and a million other geeky topics.
This discussion is more about super heroes in various media than City of Heroes, but we do manage to talk about many features and aspects of the game.
- Tthere are bad words. We drop the F Bomb a few times and discuss.. um.. anatomy.
- There are spoilers. We discuss all aspects of many different movie/book/comic properties and without pausing to give warnings, so be prepared to hit pause/fast forward if you hear a topic that you don’t want to get spoiled on 🙂
During our conversation we mention:
- Kulture Kast
- Erotica Ala Carte
- Geek Radio Daily
- El Cazador
- Green Lantern Mashup
- Transformers vs. Terminator Mashup
- Buffy/Twilight Mashup
- Grant Baciocco’s Christian Bale response
- Family Guy Christian Bale response
- Dance techno Christian Bale remix
- Apple Geeks
- J.C. Hutchins
- Murder At Avedon Hill
- Promo: Down From Ten
Tee Morris links:
Happy July (shhhh – its still technically July!) Lots of exciting things have been happening in CoHLand and we’re happy to bring you an episode chock full of newsy goodness!
In this episode we discuss:
- We are Parsec Finalists again this year !!!
- We are going to Dragon Con!
- We’ll be dropping a special episode with Tee Morris into the feed soon, discussing movies from comic books
- Paragon Studios team hits Twitter
- Paragon Studios at Comic Con
- Issue 15: Anniversary Releases info from forums
- Issue 15: Anniversary Releases info from news
- Double XP Save The Date
- Issue 16: Power Spectrum
- Migration of the message boards part 1 and part 2
- Purchase new MA story slots
- Issue 15: Anniversary Full Release Notes (cwned!)
- Promo: Mur Lafferty’s WAR